Thursday 16 September 2010

Project bedroom, part 2

With still a few euro's left from selling all the grown out clothes I went to the last 'stoffenspektakel', here in Gouda.
Given the fact that my daughters are not the kind of girls that leave decorational objects in their original place or state I thought that a quilt would be the perfect way to give some color to their bedroom.

However, there is at the moment neither time nor will to assemble a whole quilt (let alone the fact that this is supposed to be a low budget project!) so I cheated and bought this cute fabric.
It is 260 cm wide so a cut of 180 cm long will (turned 90 degrees) make a nice cover for the bed. Without having to worry about putting smaller piecer together.



All it needs now is some backing and filling.
Simple red cotton and some leftover polyester wadding will work great for a light bedcover.


I'm in no way an expert on quilting. I like making blankets and covers and in some ways it resembles a quit but I also like to cheat and use methods or tools that are probably considered sacrilege to *real* quilters.

Using up the whole floor of our livingroom (which says more about the size of the room than of the size of the quilt) I put the three layers of upper fabric, polyester wadding and lining on top of eacht other and pinned them together.


It is now waiting for me to first baste them together and then machinestitch around all of the printed squares on the fabric, making it look as if I worked hard and made the whole thing from scratch.

So, if you are a real quilter I apologize for using the word quilting for something that is probably nothing more than a simple bedcover.
But then again, my fingers will not hurt from sewing millions of tiny stitches by hand, I will not have to pay a hundred euro's for designerfabrics and I will still have time for other projects.
Don't be hatin!

1 comment:

  1. T wordt mooi bij elkaar. Een appelgroenbed en de roze (wit/rode) quilt.

    ReplyDelete