Friday 10 September 2010

Project bedroom, part 1

We are a co-sleeping/bed-sharing family but now that our youngest daughter is growing towards shorter daytime naps and longer nighttime sleep and our eldest has started school we feel the need for another bedroom.
My goal is to at least give them to opportunity to sleep in their own room if they want to and I want a place where I can nurse the youngest to sleep while 4701 is bringing the eldest to bed.
But since both girls will probably sleep with us for most of the time the next couple of years I would really like their room to also serve as a guest room.

Bunk beds would probably be the most logical option but since our girls are used to sleeping close to their parents and each other I opted for a "twijfelaar", which is 120 cm wide and 190 cm long. Perfect for two girls but big enough for a parent when needed or adult guests with or without children.

Our budget for all of this is tiny (read: non-existing) so I need to find other ways to fix it all. The walls and floor are in good condition and there is a wall wide shelf unit so the only things needed are a bed and some decoration.

First step was to make some money! I've sorted out all of our clothes (finally, I have been dreading that for years!), threw out two thirds of it and sold the other third. So now I have a tiny budget which I think is awesome because it makes you think in creative ways instead of just going on a shoppingspree (which is also nice, of course ;) )

I've found a really nice bed at a local thrift store. It is standing in my mother-in-law's garage at the moment so I can paint it without the children running in to it. I've allready picked out a nice grannysmith-green for it. Lovely, I like it when old furniture has a modern color!

I also picked up a really horrible looking wall-lamp at the thrift store because the style fitted the bed perfectly.

While the style fitted the bed, the color didn't. But now it does! Want to follow along to see how I did it? I'll make a new blogpost for it





No comments:

Post a Comment