Tuesday 29 September 2009

Shame

I'm ashamed to admit it but I think I really want a cargobike. *runs and ducks for cover*
I know, I know... I've always said that cargobikes were only for perfect mothers in Amsterdam who want to be hip while blocking all the traffic with cargobikes they only use for showing off.

But you know what? I've changed my mind.
We don't own a car so I drive around town with two children on my bike a lot. Most of the time there are not only two children strapped in a front- and backseat but also two bags filled with groceries hanging from the steer and a bag filled with all the stuff that somehow need to accompany a baby and a toddler in the front basket.

That makes for a kinda wobbly total. And I don't mean the kind of wobbliness that also seems to come with having a baby and a toddler.
No, while I'm bravely risking all three our lives in the less than friend
ly traffic of our hometown I look like I've hit the sherry a few hours to early. Which I might have, being the desperate housewife that I am, but that is a whole other story.

It comes down to this: a cargobike would really be an improvement. It would be saver, more practical, better looking and yes I admit waaaaay cooler.

I mean, look at it! This is a version that would fit our narrow storage room but it still has enough room for two children and the groceries. It is a bakfiets.nl and as far as I know this brand is durable, safe and not as crappy as some of the cheap chinese cargobikes that are being sold.

But the price....the price.... Even combined with trading in the bike I now have and/or buying a secondhand cargobike it is still a huge amount of money to spend. Oh well, I guess I will just have to start saving so I can buy one by the time my eldest will start attending school!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you' re excused buying a cargo-bike. I know how hazardous riding a bike, with one kid in frontseat en a second in backseat and a least two bags at the steer can be. I did fell once and how guilty I felt for the bruise on the knee of my little one.
    But then with 4 kids, I started taking the car or going by foot and really stopped cycling. But then again there weren't such cool cargo-bikes in those these.

    ReplyDelete