Thursday 21 May 2009

Have I told you lately that I hate you?

Not you, dear reader. Never you.

But you! YOU! YOU crappy scrappy fabric. It took me a few days to transform a bag full of IKEA fabricscraps into 400 perfect 6" squares. I think it was around square number 120 that the hatin' begun.
Thank the goddess for my good old rotarycutter otherwise I would have stopped then.




The result was rewarding though: 400 squares of heavy quality fabric. Too heavy for a supple bedquilt but perfect for the kind of quilt that I need: small, easy to wash and extremely cheap. Quilts that can withstand two leaky children, a hairy dog and two drooling but semi-hairless cats.
I think these will. They still need backing, binding and quilting but I'm really looking forward to doing that.
I was a bit worried that the big bold designs would disappear after the cutting and I although I tend to consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to designing and colours I couldn't imagine how all those different squares could fit together.
So for the yellow/red/orange one I decided to just use random simple squares in order to make the most of the print on the fabric.
For the blue one I decided to see if I could work with a bit more structure. I made nine identical blocks of nine squares each. Then I cut the blocks in four and sewed the four blocks together in a shifted order. It gave the quilt a nice "order in the chaos" pattern. I like it.

I started hoarding ikeascraps so I could see if quilting really is as cool as I though it would be. So far, it isn't. It is waaaaay cooler!



I think that from now on I will be making this small quilts everytime I need a present. They are fast and easy to make (except for the cutting, but that is what the precut charmpacks are made for, baby!) and the small size is perfect as a playblanket, footwarmer, lapquilt, wallhanger, etc.

By the way, it is blissfully silent here. Officeman (and again: he specificly asked that I call him officeman online) is away for a two days and both children are asleep. I should go to bed but I just can't pull myself away from the washinmachine in which a silk indio didymos is rinsing after a shoking ping aciddyebath.

Oh well, I better go and leave the rinsing for tomorrow. Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. Wow die quilt is al t werk wel waard! Lekker om over je heen te trekken als je op de bank zit met een kleine mopperaar in je armen.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wat een werk! ál die lapjes knippen en allemaal even recht!

    ik heb een mooie nieuwe doek besteld bij babybio.nl
    en álle filmpjes bekeken, hihi ;)
    op mn blog staat een foto van de aanwinst, zelf-op-de-rug-geknoopt.
    nogmaals bedankt

    ReplyDelete