Sunday 26 April 2009

Calvinistic cooking

I made roasted garlic mashed potatoes two days ago and while I was working the whole (dutch) stick of butter, the whole package of cream cheese and a big splash of cream through the mash I was wondering what my grandma would say of the huge amount of fat that was slowly giving the mash its soft and velvety yummyness.

She probably would say something like "ja zo kan ik een drol ook wel lekker maken", which roughly translated into "with THOSE ingredients I can make a turd tast nice". I hated it when she would say that.
There is this big taboo here in the Netherlands when it comes to good food. Especially if it takes a bit of fat to make it good food. And even worse: at the same time they stuff themselves full of stuff that has loads of hidden fat in it.


So please, stop the hypocrisy and cook real food. With real ingredients. And if that means a bit of fat here and then, than by all means have a balance day or two. I bet that throwing away the artificial sweetened, transfat-laden snacks and instantsaucepowder will do more for you than banishing the butter and cheese will!

Now go and make that mash, you know you want to!

1 comment:

  1. That's mash how mash is meant to be. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete